The online class Let’s Quilt! The Magical Six builds on the first class Let’s Quilt: The Walking Foot & Theory. This time the focus in on free motion quilting in six comprehensive videos.
Deborah’s motto is “If she can do it you can do it too”
Deborah will break down many quilting patterns into small manageable pieces. You will learn how to slow the sewing machine down so you feel in control of stitching. Slow, smooth hands, framing up for the stop and changes of direction is the secret to Deborah’s unique style of free motion quilting. Deborah has taught thousands of quilters how to free motion quilt the “Deborah Louie” way.
In the Introduction Deborah explains the following:
- How to set up your machine for free motion quilting
- Correct seating posture
- Threads and needles to use and why certain ones give better results than others
- How to start and end off
- Framing of your hands
- Working through speed of machine to speed of your hands for consistent stitch length
- Fixing machine tension problems
Then there are 5 chapters full of beautiful designs to build up your skills. You can follow Deborah as she draws each pattern first to work out the stopping position and the pattern sequence. A show and tell for each pattern is included so you can see where and how to apply these lovely designs. Then Deborah will demonstrate extensively each pattern for you.
- Chapter 1: Explores the number 6 and a reverse number 6 of different shapes and sizes
- Chapter 2: We quilt beautiful flowers starting with the 6 adding petals also spirals with straight lines
- Chapter 3: Full spirals in a row then as an all-over design using the unique DQP (Deborah’s Quilting Plan), fun stars, loops and moons, quilting with freezer paper shapes as a guide, geometric line designs which are modern fast and fun to quilt.
- Chapter 4: The lovely Roman squares and variations are worked through, with a starring role of the ever wonderful and practical echo and shadow quilting.
- Chapter 5: Here we look at beautiful background fillers, continuous echo designs like tear drops, M’s, Baptist fans, echo spirals and feather loops. As well, we use stenciled grids to achieve perfect distancing for textures including pebbles, thatching and line fillers. Deborah finishes the class off on the magical 6 all over design which includes tendril, leaves and a variety of flowers you will just love.
With over 26 years of free motion quilting experience, Deborah shares many hints and secrets for free motion quilting success.
For more information about how the online classes work, see the Online Classes FAQ page.