In addition to online classes, Deborah offers the following face-to-face, in-person workshops:
- Machine Decorative Applique: Dad’s Dahlia, Daisy paths, Glam Clams, A little garden, Hearts and Lollipops
- Quilting: Let’s Quilt stage 1 walking foot and theory, Let’s Quilt Free motion, Quilting between the lines, A day of background fillers, Fear the feather no more
- Trapunto heart and flower, leaves and vines
- Freeform medallion
Machine decorative stitch applique, Trapunto Sketch applique and Free motion grid quilting
A lovely 2 days making this bright modern cushion, which is easily modified to make a quilt of any size. Learn to use those beautiful decorative stitches on your sewing machine. Fun grid pebble quilting as the background and back of quilt also covered.
A beautiful class to learn new skills and make one of these delightful projects.
Learn blind hem applique, decorative stitch applique , turned decorative stitch applique and free motion sketch applique and the machine quilting to complete your project later at home.
Your choice of either the cushion or runner. A really practical and enjoyable class for all skill levels.
A full colour Daisy Paths book and perspex templates are available to purchase on the day.
Machine decorative stitch this delightful modern clam shell cushion.
Take full advantage of the wonderful decorative stitches your domestic machine has to offer. This class is fun and exciting way to explore your Sewing machine. When the two day recommended option is taken, we explore the sewing machine more.
A full glossy book and templates are available for this class.
A Little Garden
This delightful machine applique 18 inch square cushion is so enjoyable to make. Many machine applique techniques are taught in this 2 day class. Applique preparation and a unique way to stitch, making machine applique so easy will be shown. Imagine using all the decorative stitches now on your machine. Free motion applique and blind hem applique will also be a feature. This pretty cushion is highlighted with stunning Glam Clams at the bottom.
This workshop is suitable for all skill levels.
Hearts & Lollipops: 2 day class
This is a 2 day class for the quilter new to machine applique. This class is designed to get to know how machine applique can really make your quilts beautiful. You will explore the decorative stitches on your machine also that can be used for raw edge applique.
All aspects of machine applique will be explored: designing blocks; threads and needles; stabilizers; stopping and starting; accurate applique stitching; theory of how to applique any quilt; and decorative stitch appliqué
You will be working on hearts from this Hearts and Lolly pops quilt. A full colour glossy 72 page book and Perspex templates are available in the class. This is a very fun and new or intermediate quilter friendly class.
Free motion quilting is less daunting using 1 inch and 1/2 inch stencil grids to work within.
The perfect class to up skill your free motion quilting, many designs and patterns will be covered. Designs for blocks, borders, sashing’s and backgrounds. Lots of modern fun patterns a really enjoyable day.
Includes a beautiful full colour instruction book and instructions to make the medallion grid quilt.
Let’s Quilt stage 1 walking foot and theory: 1 day class
- Marking the quilt stencils, pens, pencils, quilt pounces, efficient marking techniques
- Backing fabrics
- Waddings : all the varieties explained
- Pinning the quilt: Deborah’s unique techniques fully demonstrated
- Threads, needles all covered
- Technique of machine quilting
- Stitch sizes and how they can effect the out come
- Stopping and starting beautifully every time
- Stitch in the ditch , how the seam can effect the quilt
- Decorative stitches using the walking foot
- Cross hatching
- Twin needles with walking foot
- Cables and Curves with walking foot
- Quilting blocks and borders
- Theory of how to quilt of any style and size
- Show and tell some of Deborah’s quilts and explain how and why quilted
- Students to bring quilts for discussion on quilting in future
- This is a full day’s intensive workshop
- Length 6-6 1/2 hours long
Let’s Quilt! Free Motion Quilting: 1 or 2 day class
- Demonstration of the free motion technique
- Stopping and starting
- Control of your work through the control of your hands
- Quilting the following designs:
- Swirls ,spirals,flowers
- geometric patterns
- roman squares
- cranky triangles
- ms, tear drops,vs, pebbles
- stars and moons,hearts
- free quilting your name
- echo and shadow quilting
- All patterns are designed to give you confidence and creativity
- Using border and panels quilts
- All techniques will be drawn on paper first to learn the design
- then Deb will demonstrate
- Theory of how to free motion on any size quilt
- A great fun filled day of practical free motion designs
- An intensive 6- 61/2 hours per day
Fear the Feather No More! 2 day class
Trapunto heart with coloured flowers, leaves and vines: 1 day class
There are background fillers that are suitable for this style and we will address those as well.
A lovely relaxed day creating a stunning sample that can be used as inspiration for more coloured trapunto quilts .
Freeform Medallion: 2 day class
An exciting 2 day class, where free form cutting, piecing and machine quilting create on e of a kind medallion quilts. This initiative creative style, forms stunning individual contemporary quilts. The machine quilting using both the walking foot creating large straight stitches with heavy threads and or free motion style quilting, add beautiful texture and movement to the pieces. The elements of design and colour theory will also be discussed in class.