In addition to online classes, Deborah offers the following face-to-face, in-person workshops:
- Machine Decorative Applique: Covid Clams /Eye Spy Bubbles of Fun, Machine Magic , Dad’s Dahlia, Daisy paths, Glam Clams, Hearts and Lollipops, Miss Molly’s Flower Garden, Let’s Go Go Go, Machine Applique 4 ways and Mum’s Hibiscus.
- Quilting: Let’s Quilt stage 1 walking foot and theory, Let’s Quilt Free motion, Quilting between the lines.
- Know your BERNINA machine
- Summer Days and Freeform medallion
Machine Appliqué 4 Ways
A technique class, Learn how to perfectly Machine Applique in 4 different techniques.
- Decorative Stitch Applique (flowers, satin stitches, cross stitches)
- Blind Hem Applique (looks like hand needle turn)
- Blanket Stitch Applique (perfect corners, points and circles)
- Sketch Free Motion Applique (Raw edge textural applique)
Working with 12 weight cotton threads, Mono.Poly, Bobbin Fill and Shiny 40 wt. polyester threads.
Suits beginner to intermediate skill levels.
Machine Magic Decorative Stitch Applique: 2-day class or up to 5-day Master Class
Learn to create textural stitch MAGIC on your sewing machine. Using different decorative stitches and a range of thread types and sizes will make stunning appliqué flowers on your sewing machine. The family of flowers and how to prepare the shapes , stitching the flowers and free motion sketching the edges will be explored. As all of Deborah”s classes the machine quilting is explored as well.
Suitable for intermediate to advanced quilter
Let’s Go Go Go: 2- day Beginners Machine Appliqué class
Perfecting the Blanket stitch on your machine with a few other readably useful decorative stitches. Learn how to use stabiliser, different weight of threads, bobbin fill and how to free motion ditch the appliqué block.
A full colour glossy 35 page book with 20 pattern pages is available to accompany this workshop.
Miss Molly Flower Garden : 2 day Beginners Free Motion Sketch Applique class
Learn all the aspects of preparing designs, fusing the design and stitching one block from Deborah’s
quilt Miss Molly’s Flower garden.
Free motion sketch appliqué is a textural, enjoyable technique with many uses on quilts. Working with shiny 40w.t polyester threads, bobbin fill, stabiliser, with the free motion foot and feed dogs down. Great technique to developed your free motion quilting skills.
Adding texture and design inside shapes whilst appliquéing.
A full colour glossy 31 page book with 20 pattern pages
is available to accompany this workshop.
Covid Clams / Eye Spy Bubbles of Fun :1 day class
Learn the fabulous machine stitched turned technique of blind hem applique. This technique is so versatile with many applications for quilters. A delightful 1 day class where students choose either the clam shell or circle shape to make and quilt a small cushion.
A 23 full colour glossy book with instructions for both designs is available to accompany this workshop.
An enjoyable 2 days of fusing and stitching this large, striking, hibiscus flower cushion.
Layering of shapes, and free motion sketch stitching or sometimes called thread painting gives the cushion a real life like look.There is a full-size pattern sheet and 24 page full colour book that accompanies the class.
We delve into the 1/2 inch grid free motion background grid quilting on the front and a large scale 1 inch diagonal grid design for the back of the cushion.
Do you love the look of hand embroidery?
This collection of 5 mandala cushions designed by Deborah Louie are using 12 weight cotton threads on lined fabric.
Learn to use the beautiful decorative stitches on your sewing machine whilst making a stunning cushion that would look beautiful in any home decor.
A 36 full colour paged book and full size pattern sheets for all 5 cushions is available in the class
With this 2 day skill building workshop you will learn the freedom and creativity of improv free-form cutting and piecing with no rulers or pins. Stitch a four block cushion with machine quilting the front and back. Learn straight-line rule quilting, free motion rule ditch quilting, free motion pebble quilting and relaxed straight line triangle quilting.
Take home a 36 page book with also a Deborah Louie 6 inch rule. With the skills and instructions to continue to make this lovely quilt in your own time.
Machine decorative stitch applique, Trapunto Sketch applique and Free motion grid quilting
A lovely 2 days making this bright modern cushion, which is easily modified to make a quilt of any size. Learn to use those beautiful decorative stitches on your sewing machine. Fun grid pebble quilting as the background and back of quilt also covered.
A beautiful class to learn new skills and make one of these delightful projects.
Learn blind hem applique, decorative stitch applique , turned decorative stitch applique and free motion sketch applique and the machine quilting to complete your project later at home.
Your choice of either the cushion or runner. A really practical and enjoyable class for all skill levels.
A full colour Daisy Paths book and card template are available to purchase on the day.
Machine decorative stitch this delightful modern clam shell cushion.
Take full advantage of the wonderful decorative stitches your domestic machine has to offer. This class is fun and exciting way to explore your Sewing machine. When the two day recommended option is taken, we explore the sewing machine more.
A full glossy book and templates are available for this class.
Hearts & Lollipops: 2 day class
This is a 2 day class for the quilter new to machine applique. This class is designed to get to know how machine applique can really make your quilts beautiful. You will explore the decorative stitches on your machine also that can be used for raw edge applique.
All aspects of machine applique will be explored: designing blocks; threads and needles; stabilizers; stopping and starting; accurate applique stitching; theory of how to applique any quilt; and decorative stitch appliqué
You will be working on hearts from this Hearts and Lolly pops quilt. A full colour glossy 72 page book and card template is available in the class. This is a very fun and new or intermediate quilter friendly class.
Free motion quilting is less daunting using 1 inch and 1/2 inch stencil grids to work within.
The perfect class to up skill your free motion quilting, many designs and patterns will be covered. Designs for blocks, borders, sashing’s and backgrounds. Lots of modern fun patterns a really enjoyable day.
Includes a beautiful full colour instruction book and instructions to make the medallion grid quilt.
Let’s Quilt stage 1 walking foot and theory: 1 day class
- Marking the quilt stencils, pens, pencils, quilt pounces, efficient marking techniques
- Backing fabrics
- Waddings : all the varieties explained
- Pinning the quilt: Deborah’s unique techniques fully demonstrated
- Threads, needles all covered
- Technique of machine quilting
- Stitch sizes and how they can effect the out come
- Stopping and starting beautifully every time
- Stitch in the ditch , how the seam can effect the quilt
- Decorative stitches using the walking foot
- Cross hatching
- Twin needles with walking foot
- Cables and Curves with walking foot Quilting blocks and borders
- Theory of how to quilt of any style and size
- Show and tell some of Deborah’s quilts and explain how and why quilted
- Students to bring quilts for discussion on quilting in future
- This is a full day’s intensive workshop
- Length 6-6 1/2 hours long
A full colour comprehensive 60 page book is available to accompany this class
Let’s Quilt! Free Motion Quilting: 1 or 2 day class
- Demonstration of the free motion technique
- Stopping and starting
- Control of your work through the control of your hands
- Quilting the following designs:
- Swirls ,spirals,flowers
- geometric patterns
- roman squares
- cranky triangles
- ms, tear drops,vs, pebbles
- stars and moons,hearts
- free quilting your name
- echo and shadow quilting
- All patterns are designed to give you confidence and creativity
- Using border and panels quilts
- All techniques will be drawn on paper first to learn the design
- then Deb will demonstrate
- Theory of how to free motion on any size quilt
- A great fun filled day of practical free motion designs
- An intensive 6- 61/2 hours per day
Know Your BERNINA Sewing Machine: 1-2 day class.
Learn the features of your beautiful BERNINA sewing machine from BERNINA Australia’s Ambassador Deborah Louie.
We will address the features of BERNINA sewing machines that a quilter will need.
Addressing the walking foot, BSR free motion foot, appliqué with decorative stitching.
How to adjust tensions, machine care and maintenance. Threads and needles.
How the machines temporary and permanent memory system works, alphabet stitching, combination stitching and so much more.
Learn to get the very most out of your BERNINA Sewing machine.
Please note this does not include the embroidery component
An exciting 2 day class, where free form cutting, piecing and machine quilting create on e of a kind medallion quilts. This initiative creative style, forms stunning individual contemporary quilts. The machine quilting using both the walking foot creating large straight stitches with heavy threads and or free motion style quilting, add beautiful texture and movement to the pieces. The elements of design and colour theory will also be discussed in class.